To ensure you perform well in an interview you should be prepared. Here are some tips:
Prior to attending an interview
- Prepare your interview responses and examples by reviewing the key selection criteria as outlined in the position description and content of the advertisement. Prepare for commonly asked questions such as: Why do you want this job? What are your strengths? What are your areas for development?
- Research us! Visit our website and if you know someone who works for HBF ask them what it’s like.
- Know what you do well – be prepared to explain what you have done that makes you ideal for this position.
- Make sure you get there on time (or early). Know where you are going and how long it will take to get there. Allow at least one hour for the interview.
- Get enough sleep the night before, and make sure you are well groomed and dressed appropriately.
During the interview
The first few minutes often set the tone for the rest of the interview, so make a good impression by being confident, yet relaxed.
- Greet the interviewer(s), smile, introduce yourself and shake hands firmly and warmly.
- Listen clearly to the question being asked and if you do not understand a question, don’t be afraid to ask for clarification or for the question to be repeated.
- Speak in a firm, clear, confident voice, and relate your answers to the requirements of the job you are applying for if possible. Use the SAO formula (Situation, Action, Outcome) when discussing examples.
- Be open and honest in your responses to an interview question. We can usually tell if you’re not sure or aren’t completely confident about your response.
- At the end, thank the interviewer(s) for their time, and shake hands with everyone as you leave.