What are chronic conditions?
Chronic conditions include mental illness, disabilities, traumas, and genetic disorders, as well as illnesses like
cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Dealing with a chronic condition can be difficult and there is a lot to manage – from emotions and relationships to
medication and finances. Finding out what support is available is a good first step to managing a chronic condition
How we can help
Depending on the type of cover you have, we provide several programs designed to help you manage chronic illness and
- Chemo@home program: chemotherapy for most cancers, infusions for multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn’s
disease, bone-strengthening, and colony stimulation all administered in the comfort of your own home.
- The COACH program: a telephone health coaching program that helps you with cardiovascular disease or type 2 diabetes. It’s
clinically proven to improve your health.
- HBF Health Navigator: helps you navigate the complexities of the healthcare system after a hospital stay for diabetes,
asthma, or heart failure.
- MedsCheck: if you’ve had a recent major medical event or take over five medications or one with a high risk of side
effects, you can get a personal consultation with a pharmacist, customised medicine list, and recommendations for taking
and managing your medication effectively.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (OSA): initial consultation, home sleep study, and ongoing support if you suffer from OSA.
Eligibility criteria applies to each program, so give us a call on 133 423 to see if a program is available to you.
Other resources and support
The Australian Government offers a range of support for people with chronic illnesses and other conditions. The website
below has information about eligibility and application processes, or you can use the Payment and Service Finder to
learn about options where you live.
Australia offers payments and services to help people with an illness, an injury, or a disability, including
the Disability Support Pension, JobSeeker, and other allowances that help with transport, education, and expenses.