We want to make your recovery from a hospital stay as straightforward and stress-free as possible. Take a look through this
key knowledge so you know what to expect when you leave hospital, and how we can help you get back to health.
Before you’re discharged
- Ensure you have written instructions about managing your post-hospital care.
- Understand any medications and instructions for taking them. Eligible HBF members can access free dose administration aids to help them remember what they’re supposed to be taking and when.
- Know who to contact if you experience problems related to your treatment.
- Make a follow up appointment with your specialist.
- Request a medical certificate if you need one for work.
- Organise for a family member or friend to take you home from hospital.
Understand your hospital and medical bills
Your hospital and specialists may send you multiple, independent bills depending on how many services you received - and
they may come at different times. Wherever we can we’ll take care of paperwork and payments, saving you extra stress.
Hospital accommodation bills are usually sent directly to us, and we try to take care of as much as possible behind the scenes.
However, there are a couple of scenarios where you might receive a bill:
- If your hospital doesn’t have an agreement with HBF, you’ll receive a bill and will need to submit a claim to us afterwards.
- Any excess, co-payment or fees for services which aren’t covered under your policy will be billed directly to you.
You’ll only receive a bill if your specialist (doctor or surgeon) charges more than the Medicare Benefit Schedule fee and
they don’t have a fully-covered agreement with HBF. If that’s the case, you‘ll need to lodge the claim with Medicare
first then provide us with your Medicare Statement of Benefit form when you submit your claim.
Health support programs
HBF also offers plenty of support for your recovery journey. Suffering from a chronic or long term illness can make it difficult to stay well outside of hospital. HBF provides a number of health initiatives to help you, including diabetes and other wellbeing services.
Healthy living programs
HBF members also have access to a wide range of healthy living benefits, including gym membership discounts and free classes.