Start your day out right with these smoky and delicious breakfast tacos from CSIRO Low-Carb Diabetes Every Day.
Creamy feta, golden eggs, soft corn tortillas and just a hint of Mexican spice – these tacos bring café-style breakfast to your kitchen.
This recipe was created by CSIRO research scientists as a healthy and delicious breakfast option, and is published in CSIRO Low-Carb Diabetes Every Day
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x 55 g free-range eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup (35 g) rocket
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 30 g feta, crumbled
- Flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium–high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs into the pan and sprinkle the turmeric and paprika around the edges of the eggs. While the eggs are cooking, drizzle the remaining olive oil around the edges of the eggs so they crisp up nicely. The eggs are cooked when the whites are set, but the yolks should still be soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas in a microwave on high for 10 seconds, or in a frying pan over low–medium heat.
- Divide the tortillas between two plates and top with the eggs, rocket, cherry tomato, feta and parsley. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Recipe extracted with permission from CSIRO Low-Carb Diabetes Every Day by Professor Grant Brinkworth and Pennie Taylor. Published by Macmillan Australia, RRP $39.99. Photography by Rob Palmer.
This article contains general information only and does not take into account the health, personal situation or needs of any person. In conjunction with your GP or treating health care professional, please consider whether the information is suitable for you and your personal circumstances.