We’re with you, near and far

Protect every moment with travel insurance you can trust. We’ll be there for you whether you’re travelling within Australia or overseas.

More ways we look after you when you travel

  • Save money

    Cover for minor delays

    If your travel is delayed for more than six hours and it wasn’t your fault, we’ll cover you for the reasonable costs of additional accommodation and meals incurred1

  • Cover for kids

    Travelling with dependent children? We’ll cover them at no extra cost, up to the age of 21*.

  • Lost luggage

    Lost and stolen luggage

    We provide cover for luggage or travel documents that are lost or stolen whilst on your holiday.

  • Cancelled travel

    Cancelled travel cover

    Need to cancel your plans due to unforeseen circumstances? We’ll cover your pre-paid non-refundable travel costs.

  • 24/7 Support

    24/7 emergency assistance

    If you need help whilst you’re travelling, our emergency assistance hotline will always be there for you.

  • Dental and Medical

    Medical and dental

    Relax in the knowledge that you and your family will be covered for unexpected medical or dental emergencies whilst you travel.


Compare travel insurance

Take a look at our levels of cover to find one which suits your travel plans.

Minimum cover required to travel
Overseas medical
Overseas dental
Cancelled or rescheduled travel
Resumption of overseas travel
Luggage and travel documents
Accidental death and disability
Hire car excess waiver
Icon economy


Basic cover

Get a quote

Minimum cover for travel to New Zealand and South Pacific Islands







$1 million


Most Popular Icon standard


Most popular

Get a quote

Minimum cover for travel to Asia, including Bali







$2 Million


Icon super


Comprehensive cover

Get a quote

Minimum cover for travel to the UK, Europe, South America, Russia, India, Africa and the Middle East







$2.5 Million


Icon super plus

Super plus

All the extras

Get a quote

For worldwide cover, compulsory for travel to the USA, Canada and Japan







$2.5 Million


This table is a summary of significant features and benefits only. Please refer to the travel insurance PDS for full terms and conditions.

Australia wide domestic insurance

Get covered for lost luggage, car hire and any cancelled or rescheduled flights.

Make a claim 24/7, anywhere in the world

Whether you’re home or abroad, our claims consultants are ready to help.

  • 1

    Within Australia

    If you’re in Australia and need to claim or you’d like to make a non-urgent claim when you return from your trip overseas, call 1300 559 867 and we’ll get things moving.

  • 2


    If you’re overseas and you need our help, you can call +61 2 8895 0699 24 hours a day, seven days week. We can start your urgent claim and offer emergency assistance if you’re in a difficult situation.

FAQs about travel insurance

If you lose your luggage, get sick overseas or your travel is cancelled, your holiday could end up costing a lot more than you budgeted for. Medical treatment can be particularly expensive overseas, and the last thing you want to be worrying about is hospital fees in an emergency. HBF travel insurance covers you for a variety of events, so if the unexpected does occur, you’ll be looked after by people you can trust.

If you’re in Australia, you can call us anytime on 1300 559 867. If you’re overseas, call +61 2 8895 0699, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You’ll need to do this within 30 days of completing or cancelling your trip.

Medical: For medical or dental claims, we’ll need written confirmation of your illness or injury from a treating qualified doctor or dentist.

Loss or theft: We’ll need a copy of the report you lodged with the Police from the location where the loss or theft was reported, together with evidence of ownership, such as original receipts, or instruction manuals. For delay of luggage we’ll also need written confirmation from your transportation provider of the delay and the amount of compensation you are entitled to claim for the delay.

Cancellation: For cancellation or rescheduling expenses, we’ll need original receipts, plane or train tickets, or a letter from your travel agent showing any charges to re-arrange or cancel your journey, or a doctor’s certificate or letter from the airline.

In many cases we do, but you’ll need to apply to have your pre-existing medical condition covered. Usually, we can assess your application to cover a condition over the phone or online without the need to fill out any forms or to see your doctor. We also cover some conditions automatically - take a look at our Travel Insurance Product Disclosure Statement.

Yes, you can. Wherever you are in the world, you can access emergency assistance (including claims) 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you’re in Australia, you can call (02) 8895 0699. From overseas, call +61 2 8895 0699. For email assistance while you’re away contact travelassist@cgu.com.au

Unfortunately not. Our policies must be purchased before you depart Australia and cover you from when you leave your home in Australia until you return to that home.

Yes, with HBF travel insurance you can apply for an ‘early return refund’ as long as no claims have been made on the policy and your early return is not linked to a claim.

We’ll happily extend your international travel insurance if you contact us to arrange the extension before your original policy ends. However, we cannot provide cover on an extension for any pre-existing medical or dental condition.

If you need to cancel or reschedule your trip due to unexpected circumstances, we’ll generally cover the cost of any travel you have already paid for and are unable to have refunded. We’ll also cover travel agents’ cancellation fees of up to $1000. We always recommend speaking to us to check before you cancel.

These include:

  • If you, your relative, travelling companion, travelling companions’ relative or your business partner dies or becomes injured or ill. For anyone not travelling with you, this means a life-threatening accident or illness.
  • If you are an employee of the state and/or federal police, fire brigade, ambulance or armed forces and your services are required due to a state of emergency being declared.
  • If you are retrenched unexpectedly and not voluntarily.
  • Cancellation of a wedding, conference, pre-paid concert, course, or sporting event and the sole purpose of the trip is to attend that event.

We’ll look after you across Australia too

We don’t just take care of you overseas. HBF travel insurance offers cover especially for travel within Australia.