Get the ‘Shaka’ together (that’s the collective noun for a group of quokkas, coined by legendary surfer Kelly Slater1) and get blending, because the HBF Quoktail is all you need this summer to get one of your two serves of fruit.
Starring in-season WA strawberries (if Buddy the quokka doesn’t eat them all first) blended with grapefruit juice and topped with soda, this easy mocktail is a light and bright thirst quencher perfect for your Christmas table.
Prep time: Less than 5 minutes
- 1 cup of chopped strawberries
- 60 ml freshly squeezed grapefruit or lemon juice
- 30-60 ml soda water
- Mint and fresh strawberry to garnish
- Add chopped strawberries to a blender with grapefruit or lemon juice, and blend until smooth
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds and any pulp, using a spatula or spoon to push the mixture through the sieve
- Divide the mixture between two tall cocktail glasses filled with ice
- Top with soda, and stir
- Garnish with strawberries and mint, or Rottnest leaves if you wish (maybe not...)
When it's extra hot: Add crushed ice or ice cubes to the bottom of the glass before pouring in the strawberry mixture.
Fun fact: The quokkas diet consists of various grasses, leaves, and fruits. In addition, they can eat berries on occasion1 (like Christmas).
A note on alcohol consumption this festive season
While enjoying the occasional drink can be part of a healthy and balanced lifestyle, drinking outside of the national guidelines can impact your physical and mental health.2 Try to stick to less than 10 standard drinks per week and no more than 4 on any one occasion.
“Cutting back on alcohol can have some substantial benefits for your health and wellbeing,” says HBF dietitian Mary du Heaume.
Looking for tips on drinking less alcohol? We’ve got 5.
5 Tips for drinking less alcohol
Visit Buddy the quokka in real life
Visit WA’s famous quokkas and explore Perth’s own paradise this summer. HBF members can access discounts for Rottnest Express, Rottnest Fast Ferries, Rottnest Cruises, and ADAMS Rottnest Bayseeker Island Tours.
Browse Member Perks
This article contains general information only and does not take into account the health, personal situation or needs of any person. In conjunction with your GP or treating health care professional, please consider whether the information is suitable for you and your personal circumstances.