Please note that HBF will no longer be offering general insurance products from 1 July 2021. Learn more here.
Contents insurance image


Compare our contents cover

With three levels of contents cover to choose from, you can pick one that suits you and the things you care about.

Accidental damage or accidental loss
Valuable items
Optional additional valuables cover
Contents at home in the open air
Burning out of electrical motors
Frozen food
Vet expenses if your pet is injured in a road accident
Liability cover
Bicycle cover
Flood cover (automatic)
New-for-old replacement cover (contents)
Credit card and transaction card misuse
Small boats and watercraft
Most value

Premium cover

Accidental damage

Get a quote
20% of sums insured or $7,500. Whichever is greater (up to $2,500 per item)

Includes accidents

Up to $500


Includes accidents, except while racing


Max length 4m - motors less than 10hp

Quality cover

Listed events

Get a quote
20% of sums insured or $5,000. Whichever is greater (up to $2,500 per item)

Up to $2,000 for the events listed

Up to $500

Up to $500



Max length 4m - motors less than 10hp

Basic cover


Get a quote
$2,000 in total (up to $1,000 per item)

Up to $1,000 for the events listed

Australia wide


Max length 3m – unpowered only

This table is a summary of significant features and benefits only. Please refer to the HBF Accidental Damage Home Insurance, HBF Listed Events Home Insurance and HBF Fundamentals Home Insurance Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) and policies for full terms and conditions.

FAQs about our contents insurance

What does contents insurance cover?

HBF Contents insurance covers household goods or personal belongings that are not fitted or fixed to your building that you own. There are set maximum amounts that we’ll pay when you make a claim which are included in contents sum insured amount.

What isn’t covered by contents insurance?

Contents insurance doesn’t cover:

  • Unset precious stones/semi-precious stones
  • Plants and trees growing outdoors, unless they’re growing in pots or tubs
  • Animals, including birds and fish
  • Pedal cycles while they are being used for racing or pacemaking
  • Motor vehicles, caravans, trailers or aircraft other than model or toy aircraft
  • Registered motorcycles or mini-bikes
  • Unregistered motorcycles or mini-bikes over 125cc
  • Watercraft more than 4 metres long
  • Watercraft less than 4 metres long that is powered by a motor of more than 10hp
  • Jet skis

What does Accidental Damage insurance cover?

HBF Accidental Damage insurance provides premium cover for your home and contents for any accidental damage or loss from unintentional or unforeseen events, such as theft, fire, explosion, landslide, storm or flooding. It also covers any accidental breakage of things like windows, glass, mirrors and sinks.

Your cover also includes:

  • Alternative accommodation; in the event you are unable to live in your home as a result of building loss or damage we will cover the cost of alternative accommodation up to 12 months,
  • Debris removal and demolishing; we will cover the reasonable costs to demolish and remove any debris that results from loss or damage to your buildings or contents, up to 10% of your building or contents sum insured (in addition to the sum insured).
  • Contents in commercial storage facility; we’ll cover your contents for loss or damage whilst they are in a commercial storage facility in Australia up to the total contents sum insured, as listed on your schedule,
  • Contents in transit; we’ll cover your contents for loss or damage whilst they are being transported by a vehicle to your home, or to commercial storage facility within Australia up to $10,000,

What’s optional special valuables cover?

With Special Valuables insurance you can nominate an amount for your special valuable, and we’ll cover it for accidental loss or damage anywhere in the world for up to 90 consecutive days.

Unlike Accidental Damage insurance, Personal Valuables insurance covers the full amount of your insured item. That means if you insure a diamond ring for $8000 and then accidentally lose it, we will cover it for the full $8000 amount. Under an Accidental damage policy the most we will pay for this item is a maximum of $2500.

Items you can cover include:

  • Jewellery & watches
  • Stamp, cash or medal collections
  • Camera equipment, including accessories unless they are being used underwater, or to earn an income
  • Mobile phones, laptops and tablets
  • Sporting equipment, unless it is being used (doesn’t include bicycles)

How much should I insure my contents for?

When choosing an amount of cover for your contents, think about how much it would cost to replace each item, not what they’re currently worth. For example, your couch might only sell for $50, but the cost to buy a similar new couch would be $700. Our handy online contents calculator is an easy way to work out the right level of cover for your contents.

When calculating the value of your contents, don’t forget to include items like:

  • Kitchen appliances and free-standing stoves
  • Carpets, blinds, curtains and rugs
  • Crockery, cookware and cutlery
  • Food in pantry and fridge
  • Artwork and books
  • Linen and towels
  • Clothes, shoes, hats, handbags

And remember, every year you add new things to your home, so be sure to check your level of cover before renewing your insurance.

I own items that are valuable and that I take away from the home. Are these items covered?

It depends on which policy you have. With an Accidental Damage policy, your valuable items are covered away from home – up to 20% of your sum insured. With a Listed Events policy or Fundamentals policy, valuable items are not automatically covered outside of your home.

If you have a valuable item worth more than $2,500 that you take away from home, you’ll need to add our Personal Valuables insurance to your policy to make sure that it’s covered to its full value.

We’ll cover up to 20% of the contents sum insured, or up to $7,500 in total per claim, with an item limit of $2,500. If you have a valuable item that is worth more than $2,500, you’ll need to add this to your policy under the optional Personal Valuables cover to make sure that it’s covered to its full value.

What do I need to do in an emergency?

If you need to make emergency repairs to your house, let us know and we’ll organise one of our repairers to help you as soon as possible. Contact us on 1300 559 867 to lodge a claim and we will arrange these repairs for you.

I am going on holiday for 4 weeks – do I need to notify HBF?

If you’re leaving your house unoccupied for a continuous period of 60 days or more, it’s a good idea to let us know, as there may be changes and special conditions that we may need to apply to your policy.


Accidents happen. Luckily, we can cover you for those too.

With HBF’s Accidental Damage Home Insurance contents cover, you can enjoy up to 90 consecutive days of Australia-wide cover for any type of accidental loss or damage to your contents – such as your mobile phone.