With immune system health a focus for many right now, we asked the CSIRO to share a berry breakfast-y smoothie from the Total Wellbeing Diet program, designed to give you a boost.
This one is all about keeping things simple, wholesome, and filling. The perfect breakfast on the go that heroes the immune-boosting power of the blueberry. Blueberries are made up of a type of flavonoid called ‘anthocyanin’, which has delicious properties that can help boost a person’s immune system through antioxidants.1
Researchers found that people who ate foods rich in flavonoids were less likely to get an upper respiratory tract infection or common cold, compared to those who did not.1
Just one of the 1000s of recipes you can access via the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Premium program, available to claim now for eligible members.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Refrigeration time: 30 minutes
- 150g mixed berries or blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 60g Wheat Bran flakes with Sultanas
- 2 cups of low-fat milk or milk alternative of choice (almond milk is great!)
- 7g of toasted almonds on top
- Blend all ingredients, except almonds, together until smooth
- Top with toasted almonds
TIP: Using frozen berries will give you a nice cold smoothie, if you like it cold - add a small handful of ice to your blender.
How can CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Programs help you?
HBF has partnered with Digital Wellness to offer you new ways to access extra support and reach your health goals.
If you’re at risk of developing prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, or you need some support with your health and weight, the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet Programs are here to help.
The programs offer:
- Access to the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet– a higher protein, low GI weight loss eating plan specially formulated by Australia’s national science agency.
- One-on-one Health Coaching sessions with an Accredited Practising Dietitian.
- Digital health and weight loss tools to help you keep track of your food.
- Weekly tutorials about health, weight loss, nutrition, ,exercise and mindset.
- A simple exercise plan to gently build up your movement every day.
- An active online community to encourage, support, and motivate you.
If you’re overweight or obese, losing weight is one of the key ways to slow prediabetes or type 2 diabetes from progressing. And you don’t even need to lose a huge amount to see the positive effects either; research shows that losing just 5 percent of your body weight has benefits to your health. If you have more to lose, the more benefits you may see.
In a 2019 study of CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet members, 81 percent of respondents who lost the most weight saw improvements in their type 2 diabetes, compared to 35 percent in the lowest weight loss group.
Total Wellbeing Health Coaching sessions.
The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Programs also include one-on-one Total Wellbeing Health Coaching sessions, which will give you the opportunity to speak with an Accredited Practising Dietitian about your goals, lifestyle, and diet. These sessions allow you to receive ongoing professional support with the plan, help to keep you motivated along the way, and can keep you accountable for staying on track.
This article contains general information only and does not take into account the health, personal situation or needs of any person. In conjunction with your GP or treating health care professional, please consider whether the information is suitable for you and your personal circumstances.
Benefits for Healthy Living Programs are payable up to applicable annual limits and sub-limits for members who hold an eligible level of HBF extras cover and meet the Program’s eligibility criteria, where applicable. Some out-of-pocket costs may apply. Waiting periods and other terms and conditions may apply.