If you’re looking for fritters fit for breakfast, lunch, or supper – this is them. Dreamt up by Island Market’s Culinary Director, David Coomer – these are a favourite of all who stack them high and eat them up.
Let’s talk about fritters. Not only are they deliciously crunchy – they’re also incredibly easy to make. Usually, you can only order this dish seaside at Island Market in Trigg, WA – now you can get them on regular rotation at home. And fun fact, although zucchini is often considered a vegetable, it is botanically classified as a fruit – also, the nutrients are hiding in the skin, so don’t ditch it.
Health perks of adding more vegetables into your diet (including the humble zucchini)
- Rich in antioxidants. Eating a wide variety of fruit and vegetables helps to ensure an adequate intake of antioxidants. Antioxidants are beneficial plant compounds that help protect your body from damage by free radicals.1
- Good source of fibre. High fibre diets are linked to lowered risk of certain conditions such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease).1 Zucchini contains both soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Contributes to maintaining a healthy weight. Evidence suggests that consuming vegetables is associated with a reduced risk of weight gain.2
- 900g zucchini
- 1 bunch of spring onions finely sliced
- 200g crumbled haloumi
- 3 tbs chopped parsley
- 4 tbs chopped dill
- 200g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs beaten
- Oil of choice for frying
Walnut and garlic sauce
- 750g thick Greek yoghurt
- 200g roughly chopped lightly toasted walnuts
- 5 cloves garlic finely micro planed
- 100 ml EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 4 tbs finely chopped dill
- Salt to taste
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt and allow to drain in a colander for 15 minutes.
- Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Mix zucchini with spring onions, haloumi, and herbs, then add flour, baking powder, and eggs. Season and mix thoroughly, it should be a fairly wet dough but should be firm enough to hold together if not add a little more flour.
- Heat oil to 180 and fry portions from a small ice cream scoop for 2 minutes until golden brown and cooked through, drain on paper towels.
- Mix together all of the sauce ingredients, and serve alongside fritters in a bowl.
Living in WA? Here’s where to find Island Market
Neighborhood joint, by the sea.
364 West Coast Dr, Trigg WA 6O29
This article contains general information only and does not take into account the health, personal situation or needs of any person. In conjunction with your GP or treating health care professional, please consider whether the information is suitable for you and your personal circumstances.