How we can help
Depending on the level of cover, eligible HBF members can receive benefits for Psychology and/or Clinical Psychology
treatments. To see if you’re covered for Psychology and/or Clinical Psychology treatments, login to myHBF and view your
hospital product sheet.
If you have held hospital cover for 2 months, but you’re not fully covered for psychiatric treatment, you can choose to
upgrade your product to be fully covered for psychiatric treatment and HBF will waive the usual 2 month waiting period.
This can only happen once in your lifetime.
HBF offers telehealth benefits Psychology and Clinical Psychology consultations. That means you can get covered for mental health care through phone or video.
Other resources and support
Consult the Australian Department of Health for more information on the mental health waiver.
There are many helpful organisations in Australia that offer mental health guidance and services:
- HealthDirect / 1800 022 222: Australian Government resource offering guidance and information on many health topics,
including mental health. Find e-therapy and other health care resources
- Mental Health Online: free online resources and services to help people recognise and deal with mental health
difficulties. An initiative of Swinburne University’s National eTherapy Centre (NeTC) and funded by Australia’s Federal
Department of Health
- Lifeline / 13 11 14: national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour
crisis support and suicide prevention services
- Suicide Call Back Service / 1300 659 467: nationwide service providing professional, 24/7 telephone and online
counselling to people feeling suicidal, worried about someone, or who have lost someone to suicide
- Headspace: helping young people get back on track and strengthen their ability to manage their mental health in the
future, in person at over 100 centres across Australia
- Reachout.com: delivering innovative e-mental health services that enable young people to take control of their mental
health and wellbeing
- 1800 RESPECT / 1800 737 732: This organisation is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to support people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse.