Save on medical bills

Learn how we can help you spend less on looking after your health.

How we can help

With HBF, you can reduce your out-of-pocket costs by taking advantage of our large network of HBF Member Plus providers and our 80 years’ experience in the health industry.

Choose an HBF Member Plus hospital

We partner with a large network of HBF Member Plus hospitals across Australia, to help keep your out-of-pocket costs to a minimum.

With HBF Member Plus hospitals, you’ll be covered for accommodation and theatre fees for all agreed services on your policy, less any co-payment or policy excess.

Find an HBF Member Plus hospital

Choose an HBF Member Plus provider

In addition to HBF Member Plus hospitals, we also have agreements with thousands of specialists across Western Australia.

In WA, there are two different types of arrangements in place with specialists:

1. Fully covered
These specialists are fully-covered by Medicare and HBF, which means you won't have anything to pay any out-of-pocket costs for their inpatient services (if you have a hospital excess or any product exclusions, you will need to cover these out of your own pocket).

2. Provider Choice
Specialists who participate in Provider Choice have the option to opt-in or opt-out of the agreement on a case-by-case basis.

If for an episode they choose to opt-in, your specialist will only charge up to a certain fee and we will pay an additional amount above the Medicare Benefit Schedule, eliminating your out-of-pocket cost for their in-patient services.

If your specialist chooses to opt-out or are not registered to participate in an agreement they may charge above the Provider Choice schedule, which means you will need to pay the difference between the MBS fee and the specialist’s charge. Note, there is no limit to the specialist’s fee as they can charge you what they believe is a reasonable amount.

Medical gap

You might have heard of the Medicare Benefit Schedule (MBS). This is a list of the medical procedures Medicare covers, as well as what they’ll pay towards treatment.

When you are admitted to hospital as a private patient, your specialist’s bills will be covered up to the MBS fee. Medicare will cover 75% of the MBS fee, while we will cover the remaining 25%. An out-of-pocket cost occurs when there is a difference between your specialist’s fees and the combined benefit provided from Medicare and HBF.

We have a number of arrangements in place with specialists that can help eliminate or reduce these out-of-pocket cost for you:

Medical Cost Breakdown

Save with HBF Member Plus

HBF has other agreements with a large network of doctors and specialists across Australia. We call these doctors and specialists Member Plus providers. The agreements we have with Member Plus providers help our members avoid or limit medical gaps.

Find a provider

Talk to us before your treatment

We know your cover inside out, so be sure to contact us before you book a hospital stay or significant medical treatment and we’ll do everything we can to help you reduce your out-of-pocket costs, and ensure you have all the information you need to make the best choice for you.